Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Bowl season recap, to this pt.

Unfortunately, I have been too busy to be completely wrapped up in watching all of the non-BCS bowls to this juncture. Hopefully, that will change a bit in the near future. However, here are some of the high and low points of what I've seen thus far.
1:Best bowl to date: Probably the UNC-West Virginia game, but TCU-Boise State, MD- Nevada and Missouri-Northwestern all were pretty exciting, or at least the parts I've watched, plus the highlights were.
2: I like how teams like to leave defensive play to the regular season.
3: Pat White is a college football God. He's a folk hero of John Henryesque proportions, and one day, when I'm a grizzled grandfather, I will sit by the solar trash heap on blustery nights, regaling my grandchildren with tales of 50 and 60 yard touchdown heroics. I'll always miss Pat White in college football.
4: Everybody better watch the fuck out for UNC next year. I feel like Butch Davis should receive some C.O.T.Y. recognition for making UNC football relevant once again.
5: Rutgers finished the season in absolutely scorching fashion. After the miserable start, this team really got it going in the second half of the year. Rutgers should have won 10 games.
6: I like when I make my bowl pick'em selection thusly: I'll take Rice over Western Michigan because I know the names of two of Rice's players ad don't know shit about Western Michigan. Pretty good system, I guess.
7: I'm really surprised that Oregon beat OK State. I thought that Oklahoma State was probably a Top 10 team this season, but sketchy defensive play kind of left them on the upper side of mediocre at the conclusion.
8: The U will probably fire Randy Shannon at the conclusion of next season.
9: FSU straight put a good ole Southern ass-whoopin' on Wisconsin. FSU isn't quite back to form, but those guys are making progress.
10: Did anyone see that ridiculous Black leather oxford shirt Ladanian Tomlinson was wearing at the TCU-Boise game? Horrendous. At least the fact that L.T. is more country than a sack o possums is a little comforting.
11:The Maryland-Nevada game had the wildest opening six minutes of football I've seen this year. In the course of 360 seconds, both teams scored touchdowns, Maryland missed a p.a.t., Nevada scored in about three plays, Maryland ran the ensuing kickoff back 99 yds for a t.d., the MD kicker botched the kickoff as the ball blew off the tee, Nevada retunedit to the three yd. line and then tossed a pick. Amazing! In the end, Maryland prevailed due to one fact- The Terps have Chris "Big Game" Turner commandeering the offense. With at least 50 fans in the house and a blue playing surf, Big game Turner realizes that the odds are against his Terrapins and rises to the challenge. Excalibur! Victory!
12: If Athens hosted a bowl in Sanford Stadium it could be called the Golden Bowl and be hosted by the Grit, the 40 Watt and REM (props to JR Suicide on naming sponsorship). Just sayin...
13: More updates to come, but I wish all two readers a Happy New Year

No comments: